The Everyday Life of a Working Artist

Pages

Attention! My blog is moving to my website in early January 2016. If you are receiving daily emails about this blog you will continue to receive them after the switch. Until then, you might want to head on over to my new blog here!

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

An Artists Prerogative

Pin It
Birthday Boat #19
I have had a lot of questions these past few days about my "boat painting marathon". When I painted these paintings I used photos and previous paintings I had completed for inspiration. Most of the paintings do not look like the original photos. I changed a lot of the compositions and colors, as that is what an artist can do! This painting, for example, was a photo of a bright blue sail in bright blue water with a very defined reflection. I calmed it down a bit and went with a sage green palette. Of course, sage green is my favorite color.
At the party, one of my girlfriends told others that you could sit wherever you wanted and you could also chose which painting you wanted. This was one of the first to go!

8 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

No surprise it went first! Yes, if we just wanted to copy nature, get a camera! As artists it's our choice to enhance or make things step back. This was a perfect choice!

Robin Roberts said...

There were several favorites for me. That was quite a feat. I do think that your greens and blues play very nicely together in this painting.

Now, you should probably take a rest.

RR

Leslie Saeta said...

A rest? No chance. I have a commission due this week and a show on July 19th that I am busy preparing for ... so no time to rest. But as I am sure you can imagine, I wouldn't have it any other way!

Denise Rose said...

I love this one too! I have been wondering if everything got dry enough to give out since you just did the last ones right before your party?

Leslie Saeta said...

Denise - I found these perfect little 61/2" x 61/2" plastic boxes on the internet for each of the paintings. I just slid them in and they were protected ... because they were still very wet! I even put a removeable glue dot on the back so the top didn't touch the box!

Christine's Arts said...

Good planning as far as the boxes go. Excellent feat! I'm so proud of you. If you can do it that doesn't mean I can. lol oh well, maybe.

Marian Fortunati said...

Hopefully no one fought over any of them and everyone left happy and still friends!!!

Very nice idea about the boxes too. My goodness you just are like a well oiled painting machine aren't you??

Jala Pfaff said...

I can see why, this is great.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails