The Everyday Life of a Working Artist

Pages

Attention! My blog is moving to my website in early January 2016. If you are receiving daily emails about this blog you will continue to receive them after the switch. Until then, you might want to head on over to my new blog here!

Friday, May 20, 2011

Color Reflections

Pin It
"Color Reflections"
Oil, 12" x 12"
I participated in the Balboa ArtWalk last Sunday which is a one day, very high quality art show that takes place on Balboa Island. The weather started out a pretty bad in the morning (as in pouring down rain ...) but by 9:15 the sun was out and we all decided to make it a day.
I am so glad I did as the art sales were fantastic and I met a lot of great people and artists. This was only my second year in the ArtWalk but I decided to paint a demo while working my booth ... I mean ... why not? It caused a lot of people to stop and watch so in the end it was a very wise decision. I painted this bright but fun painting while talking to hundreds of people that stopped by my booth. It's from a photo I have used before but once again I decided to change up the colors. (The actual boats are white and dark purple.) I actually used this photo for a demo in my Atlanta workshop so there are a few more paintings of this scene out there .... I know!

The day was so sunny that I painted the entire painting with my sunglasses on. That's a big no-no in the art world but I think I got lucky. The hardest part about painting in front of a group of people is the beginning ... when the canvas looks pretty awful and mot much is going on. I tried to paint quickly in the beginning but still had to stop and talk to everyone about my art. I laughed when a couple came back just to see my progress and commented "Wow, you really did make that in to a nice painting!". They did seem a bit surprised ...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails